Let's be real, family photo sessions can seem pretty challenging. You want those beautiful, natural looking pictures of your sweet and cute kids but you're worried about your kids being fussy and not cooperating. This is concern is totally normal and you would not be the first parent to be worried about this. Luckily, if you follow these tips and tricks, you can prepare for a fun and memorable family photo session. As always, the key to a successful session (any kind of session) is preparation!
- Very important. Get your kids and spouse excited about the shoot.
- Keep in mind that during a family photo session NOT everyone has to be looking and smiling at the camera at the same time. The whole idea behind a family session is to capture every member of the family as their true selves and to show the pure and genuine interactions between each other.
- Don’t show up to a photo shoot on an empty stomach, and bring snacks and water for the session. Family sessions are often close to dinner time (the time of day with the best lighting) so make sure you have snacks for the kids if you plan to have diner after the session.
- Give the kids something to do during the session! Let them play hide and seek or tag. Letting your kids play games is the best way capture genuine reactions. Here's a few tips on how to ''pose''.
- Prepare your outfits in advance. Lay your children's clothes out and check if they need to be washed. If you want, you can also prepare a second outfit.